This “buttercream” has a secret--there’s actually no butter at all contained in the recipe! Instead, it gets its rich, smooth flavor from the addition of Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
- 4 pasteurized egg whites
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (4 tablespoons) Extra Virgin olive oil, divided
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk the egg whites on high speed until they hold soft peaks.
- Pause the mixer. Add the salt, vanilla, and granulated’ sugar. Stir on low speed until everything is moistened (no sugar snowstorms!), then increase the speed to high. Continue whisking until the mixture holds very firm peaks.
- Remove the bowl from the mixer. Fold in the olive oil, one tablespoon at a time, mixing very gently. Keep an eye on the consistency as you add the olive oil--you may prefer not to add all 4 tablespoons, depending on your desired consistency, and on the humidity in your kitchen.
- Your olive oil “buttercream” is ready! Use it right away to ensure the best consistency.
Original recipe from CakeSpy.