Recipe by Kristy Reese
Adapted for high elevation from Bon Appetit
|1¼ cups extra-virgin olive oil (options: Light or medium body, Lemon Infused, or Blood Orange Infused); plus more for pan|
|1 cup sugar; plus more for pan and top of cake|
|2 cups cake flour|
|⅓ cup almond flour|
|1.5 teaspoons baking powder|
|½ teaspoon baking soda|
|½ teaspoon kosher salt|
|1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest|
|6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice|
|2 teaspoons Pure vanilla|
|1/4 t. almond extract|
|3 large eggs, room temperature|
- Preheat oven to 375°. Drizzle bottom and sides of pan with oil and use your fingers to coat. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper and smooth to eliminate air bubbles; coat parchment with more oil. Generously sprinkle pan with sugar and tilt to coat in an even layer; tap out excess. Whisk cake flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl to combine and eliminate any lumps. Stir together lemon juice, almond extract and vanilla in a small bowl.
- Using an electric mixer on high speed (use whisk attachment if working with a stand mixer), beat eggs, lemon zest, and 1 cup sugar in a large bowl until mixture is very light, thick, pale, and falls off the whisk or beaters in a slowly dissolving ribbon, about 3 minutes if using a stand mixer and about 5 minutes if using a hand mixer. With mixer still on high speed, gradually stream in 1¼ cups oil and beat until incorporated and mixture is even thicker. Reduce mixer speed to low and add dry ingredients in 3 additions, alternating with lemon/vanilla mixture in 2 additions, beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Fold batter several times with a large rubber spatula, making sure to scrape the bottom and sides of bowl. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top, and sprinkle with more sugar.
- Place cake in oven and bake until top is golden brown, center is firm to the touch, and a tester inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Transfer pan to a wire rack and let cake cool in pan 15 minutes.
- Run a thin knife around edges of cake and remove ring from pan. Slide cake onto rack and let cool completely. For the best flavor and texture, wrap cake in plastic and let sit at room temperature at least a day before serving.
- Do Ahead: Cake can be baked 4 days ahead. Store tightly wrapped at room temperature. Freezes well for one month if tightly wrapped in both plastic wrap and tin foil.
Serving suggestions: Excellent on own but is also good with any fruit reduction, balsamic strawberries, or mascarpone whipped cream.