- 3 Heirloom tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. pimentón dulce (sweet smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1 Tbsp. pimentón piquante (spicy smoked Spanish paprika)
- 1 Tbsp. toasted ground cumin
- 1 cup torn sourdough bread
- 1 cup almonds, rough chopped (marcona preferred)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup sherry vinegar
- Salt to taste
For best results, I like to double-puree using an immersion blender first, then transfer to a high-powered blender like a Vita-Prep for a smooth, light airy texture. If you blend just once using a standard blender or food processor, you will have a more coarse texture which can be nice and just as satisfying.
Place all of the ingredients except for the olive oil in a container large enough to hold while blending with an immersion blender. Or, place into a standard blender container.
Begin blending and slowly adding the olive oil to create an emulsion. After all ingredients are incorporated, taste and adjust for seasoning. Chill very well before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Michael Tuohy, Grange Restaurant, Sacramento, CA